[Wikimedia-l] The case for supporting open source machine translation

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 15:00:01 UTC 2013

Hoi,
When we invest in MT it is to convey knowledge, information and primarily
Wikipedia articles. They do not have the same problems poetry has. With
explanatory articles on a subject there is a web of associated concepts.
These concepts are likely to occur in any language if the subject exists in
that other language.

Consequently MT can work for Wikipedia and provide quite a solid
interpretation of what the article is about. This is helped when the
associated concepts are recognised as such and when the translations for
these concepts are used in the MT.
Thanks,
      GerardM