[Wikimedia-l] Why not everyone have the right to vote in the Board & FDC elections?

Huib Laurens sterkebak at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 09:46:58 UTC 2013

I would say my view on the voting rules also, like last year where I was a
active editor but wasn't allowed to vote because of the rule that you can't
be blocked on more then one project.

I was that year a administrator, list administrator and member of the
LangCom. But was blocked on a project where I was active before and on a
project where I never editted.. This made me not able to vote.

With the rule of being blocked it will be very EASY to remove people you
don't want to vote... Just block them for a while and they can't vote.

The rules of the voting should be changed, so that it would be more easy
for people to vote and not let there be a change that people can be
excluded from voting by just random facts.

Huib

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Itzik Edri <itzik op infra.co.il> wrote:

> I agree. We should limit it to only community members, or to give equal
> right to everyone.
>
> Asaf, you right, but we are talking also about the FDC elections. a
> processes where we are not granting chapters and others organizations the
> right to vote but granting to the WMF. Giving only WMF staff, and not
> chapters staff the right to vote in community process, it's like saying the
> first are part of the community, but the second are not. I don't even want
> to refer to the sensitive issue of the staff voting for their "bosses"..
>

> On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Nathan <nawrich op gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would go the other way, and limit the participants in the election
> > for the community seat to people who are members of the volunteer
> > community. Presumably that would include most members of most
> > organizational boards, but only include those staff and other paid
> > workers who also participate as volunteers.
> >
> > Most chapter members and representatives participate not only in the
> > community elections but also in the selection of chapter-nominated
> > board seats. It doesn't seem like chapters as a group are at all
> > disenfranchised.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Huib Laurens