[Wikimedia-l] volunteers who don't know about opportunities

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 09:25:24 UTC 2013

Sumana Harihareswara, 24/02/2013 16:07:
> [...] I don't know the answer.  Like Josh, I don't know how well our publicity
> about these things is penetrating our volunteer communities, and I don't
> know what level of penetration I would be satisfied with.  I suspect
> that others have better answers regarding what we've tried, what works,
> and what we're doing next, and I'd love to hear them.

This is a general problem and (in my experience) always a very
distressing one, but there's no amount of communication that can fix it:
you have to live with the defects of human nature, you can't assume
information symmetry and rationality.
In the end, you can only assess if your program has increased equality
or actually reduced it, and move your eggs to another basket in the
latter case. (The tragedy is when you're not able to assess.)

Nemo