[Wikimedia-l] The case for supporting open source machine translation

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 23:46:39 UTC 2013

This subthread seems headed out into practical / applied epistemology, if
there is such a thing.

I am not sure if we can get from here to there; that said, a new structure
with language independent facts / information points that then got
machine-explained or described in a local language would be an interesting
structure to build an encyclopedia around.  Wikidata is a good idea but not
enough here.  I'm not sure the state of knowledge theory and practice is
good enough to do this, but I am suddenly more interested in IBM's Watson
project and some related knowledge / natural language interaction AI work...

This is very interesting, but probably less midterm-practical than machine
translation and the existing WP / other project data.