[Wikimedia-l] The case for supporting open source machine translation

Denny Vrandečić denny.vrandecic at wikimedia.de
Thu Apr 25 15:46:18 UTC 2013

2013/4/25 Mathieu Stumpf <psychoslave at culture-libre.org>

> What would be the limits you would expect from your solution, because you
> can't expect to just "translate" everything. Form may be a part of the
> meaning. It's clear that you can't translate a poem for example. Sur
> wikipedia is not primary concerned about poetry, but it does treat the
> subject.

I don't know where the limits would be. Probably further then we think
right now, but yes, they still would be there and severe. The nice thing is
that we would be collecting data about the limits constantly, and could
thus "feed" the system to further improve and grow. Not automatically (I
guess, but bots would obviously also be allowed to work on the rules as
well), but through human intelligence, analyzing the input and trying to
refine and extend the rules.

But, considering the already existing bot created articles, which number in
the hundred thousands in languages like Swedish, Dutch, or Polish, there
seems to be some consensus that this can be considered as a useful starting
block. It's just that with the current system, even with Wikidata, we
cannot really grow into this direction further.

Cheers,
Denny

--
Project director Wikidata