[Wikimedia-l] Branding and visibility of sister projects Re: The case for supporting open source machine translation

Andrea Zanni zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 16:38:43 UTC 2013

Hi Denny,

The strongest promotion -- and actually your proposal goes into this
> direction -- would be to rebrand the sister projects, and then integrate
> them tighter. A first step, and a necessity before any further integration
> could happen, would be to give up the many different brands the Wikimedia
> movement has, and huddle together under one flag.
>
> As said, your proposal suggests that - it doesn't say "Wikiquote", it just
> says "Quotes", etc. This basically means that it is not Wikiquote anymore,
> but Wikipedia Quotes.
>
> This is a very old issue, in which I don't have strong feelings.
it is a real paradigm shift, and I would (personally) agree on that, even
if I'm very jelous of the Wikisource brand, for example. People just don't
get it, they always think about Wikipedia, all the time,
and it's a long time I've given up explaining them I don't work in
Wikipedia....

> Without that, I am afraid, such a strong integration between the projects
> always remains fragile and touchy, because the projects - if they are not
> mere supporting projects like Commons or Wikidata anyway - might feel
> offended and debranded every time they are integrated in such a way.

I'm not really sure about that.
But I have no data, just opinions.
Anyway, here the discussion is going on steadily, and there are other
options ready that go in the direction
we were suggesting before.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Interproject_links_interface
(look Option 5)