[Wikimedia-l] Branding and visibility of sister projects Re: The case for supporting open source machine translation

Denny Vrandečić denny.vrandecic at wikimedia.de
Wed Apr 24 11:45:31 UTC 2013

Aubrey,

2013/4/24 Andrea Zanni <zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com>

> I feel that we could boost a lot the idea of a "family of projects", of an
>  integrated, global, comprehensive approach to knowledge.
> Right now, the fact is that Wikipedia both attracts and cannibalizes users
> to/from sister projects, which are kinda invisible if you don't know they
> exist.
>
> Could we promote better our sister projects, making them more visible?
> For this purpose, user Micru and me just created a RfC for interproject
> links
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Interproject_links_interface
> (I
> invite you all to propose other solutions), but
> the underlying question is if we, as the Wikimedia community, are aware of
> the "theoretical" shift this means.

The strongest promotion -- and actually your proposal goes into this
direction -- would be to rebrand the sister projects, and then integrate
them tighter. A first step, and a necessity before any further integration
could happen, would be to give up the many different brands the Wikimedia
movement has, and huddle together under one flag.

As said, your proposal suggests that - it doesn't say "Wikiquote", it just
says "Quotes", etc. This basically means that it is not Wikiquote anymore,
but Wikipedia Quotes.

Without that, I am afraid, such a strong integration between the projects
always remains fragile and touchy, because the projects - if they are not
mere supporting projects like Commons or Wikidata anyway - might feel
offended and debranded every time they are integrated in such a way.

Having said that, this thread is half hijacked by "what are projects, how
important are they, what kind of support do they need" instead of
discussint the original topic.

Cheers,
Denny

--