[Wikimedia-l] Question: How do we define lobbying?

Fae faewik at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 07:57:58 UTC 2013

There are some useful draft definitions here. It would be handy to get
a page on meta started as a list of best practices for chapters and
other groups that may not be sure of what are normal sorts of lobbying
accepted within the Wikimedia movement that could be okay for funding
support.

>From my personal experience I have done some stuff that might be
called lobbying in the last year:
* Given evidence to parliament on Wikimedia projects as part of a
joint fact finding committee on (failed) super injunctions.
* Researched proposed changes in UK copyright legislation (open
publishing and recognition of orphan works) and then supported a
position paper back to the parliamentary committee inviting feedback.
* Taken part in hosting a workshop for academic bodies on open
publishing which included how to help Jimmy Wales with approaching the
right political stakeholders in government.
* Written to government funded bodies and the official holders of
Crown Copyright to clarify interpretations claims of copyright over
public domain works.

None of the above amounted to much in terms of costs to the movement
(apart from my unpaid volunteer time), however I think all could be
valid for UK Chapter staff support, travel claims or supporting legal
advice, were we to have asked for any.

Cheers,
Fae

faewik at gmail.com http://j.mp/faewm