[Wikimedia-l] Question: How do we define lobbying?

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 07:19:58 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Ilario Valdelli <valdelli at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem is that in some European countries lobbying is in a gray zone
> at the limit of "corruption" and it's not legally recognized.
>
> What is important is to define clearly what people means with "lobbying"
> and may be better to change the word.

Lobbying is any activity that has the intention of influencing the opinions
of politicians and other influential people on issues. I think a clear (or
at least, at first look clear) between black (corruption-like) and white
(ethic) lobbying would be that white lobbying consists of bringing
information and opinions to politicians and/or the general public, black
lobbying consists of bringing them advantages or promises.

In general, lobbying consists of sending letters, petitions and such to
politicians, parliaments, governments and such, and talking with those
about subjects we are interested in. It's comparable to propaganda
(political advertising), but directed at 'those in power' rather than the
population as a whole.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com