[Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Tomasz W. Kozlowski tomasz at twkozlowski.net
Thu Apr 18 16:03:02 UTC 2013

David Gerard wrote:

> (Someone noted on wikien-l that the "Oh Shit" moment in the editor
> graph coincides pretty well with the decision to lock down article
> creation on en:wp. Tiny inconveniences.)

It's been more than seven years since article creation was disabled for
anonymous editors on the English Wikipedia, and I was not able to find
any discussion that would suggest to re-enable it; quite the contrary,
there had even been an attempt to limit it to the 'autoconfirmed
group'[1] that was rejected by the developers community.

I heard from many people that it is a total disgrace for the movement
that its biggest project does not allow all users to create new pages
(specifically as there was, as I am told, no discussion about it);
indeed, this is something that is regularly denied for all wikis
requesting it even with overwhelming community support[2], as being in
opposition to our founding principles[3].

If there is significant evidence that not having the 'createpage' user
right for all users results in falling editor numbers, then it would
probably be best to start a discussion to change it.