[Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 15:25:29 UTC 2013

On 18 April 2013 15:54, Mathieu Stumpf <psychoslave at culture-libre.org> wrote:
> Le 2013-04-18 14:52, Thomas Morton a écrit :

>> Or, you could click a button.
>> Why is making something easy a problem?

> Because easiness is not our **only** concern.

It is, however, an extremely important one. It only takes a *tiny*
inconvenience to lose a *lot* of people.

(Someone noted on wikien-l that the "Oh Shit" moment in the editor
graph coincides pretty well with the decision to lock down article
creation on en:wp. Tiny inconveniences.)

> Making things easier is great,
> losing neutrality for the sake of convenience and ease-of-use, to my mind it
> is not a good trade.

I don't see a way around the neutrality one either, but that's my only
objection.

> I just fail to perceive a
> copy/paste action as a huge barrier to knowledge diffusion.

And yet, it seems to be. People keep asking for the buttons.

>  To my mind
> Wikipedia Zero for example seems to adress a real concern of knowledge
> diffusion.

Wikipedia Zero is not particularly related to the present discussion.

However, consider the mobile interface. Copy-and-pasting a URL is
considerably more difficult there. How would you work around that?

- d.