[Wikimedia-l] How gay friendly is Wikimedia and where do LGBT Wikimedians hang out?

Mathieu Stumpf psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Tue Apr 16 15:22:32 UTC 2013

Le 2013-04-16 16:58, Marc A. Pelletier a écrit :
> On 04/16/2013 04:48 AM, Mathieu Stumpf wrote:
>> but I suppose that our project also attract more homophobic minds
>> and so
>> on.
>
> That has not been my experience.  I think much of the perception of
> "liberal bias" is actually caused by the generally widespread
> acceptance
> of the average anglophone Wiki[mp]edian towards diversity; at least
> comparatively to the societies they primarily represent.

All my apologies, I wanted to write "I suppose that our project also
attract *some* homophobic minds".

> My hypothesis is that -- pretty much be definition -- a group of
> people
> rallying together under the banner of Open Knowledge has a strong
> natural aversion to the kind of obscurantism and information control
> that is necessary for prejudice and discrimination.  While there may
> be
> individuals that have problems, the group's natural flow will work
> against it.
>
> -- Marc

I agree and it's also my experience. Also while free software movement
seems to have bigger problem with women arrassement, the wider free
culture movement seems less affected. However androcracy being a general
society problem, I suppose you may expect to find that kind of
comportement in our movement too.

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/