[Wikimedia-l] How gay friendly is Wikimedia and where do LGBT Wikimedians hang out?

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Tue Apr 16 14:58:22 UTC 2013

On 04/16/2013 04:48 AM, Mathieu Stumpf wrote:
> but I suppose that our project also attract more homophobic minds and so
> on.

That has not been my experience.  I think much of the perception of
"liberal bias" is actually caused by the generally widespread acceptance
of the average anglophone Wiki[mp]edian towards diversity; at least
comparatively to the societies they primarily represent.

My hypothesis is that -- pretty much be definition -- a group of people
rallying together under the banner of Open Knowledge has a strong
natural aversion to the kind of obscurantism and information control
that is necessary for prejudice and discrimination.  While there may be
individuals that have problems, the group's natural flow will work
against it.

-- Marc