[Wikimedia-l] Proposal to use the internal wiki more

Victor Grigas vgrigas at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 10 17:22:42 UTC 2013

>From my perspective:

In my role as storyteller I conduct many personal interviews with Wikimedia
volunteers, donors and staff.

I have several pages of interviews and photos of volunteers and donors(!)
that have been gracious enough to share their story with me and the
WMF. Each person who has been interviewed as part of my role has signed a
legal release to 'share their story'. I keep the raw, unpolished interviews
on pages on the password protected:
https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Stories knowing that they are
available only to myself and staff at the WMF. I use that raw material to
release polished works like this:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Thank_You_All . During the course of an
interview, people sometimes say things that when reviewed later, they wish
they hadn't. Out of respect and decency for those interviewed, I want each
person alerted every time WMF plans to use their story, should that person
not want that information released. I won't 'hide' behind a legal waiver
and do whatever when someone shares a story with the WMF.

I also need to be able to share the interviews with others at WMF because
they may have instances when they need to illustrate something with a
personal story (that is my job) and it can be more convenient for them to
review these stories on an organized page than to have to ask me to be a
librarian for them and suggest a story.

Privacy is very important, and I have to take it seriously. I could remove
all the interviews from the office wiki and keep them offline, but I would
not feel comfortable making the material public without passing it by all
those interviewed first, which would take a lot of time to do, since I'm
nearing almost 2 years of interviews.

All this said, I am all in favor of making as much content as possible on
https://collab.wikimedia.org/ and https://office.wikimedia.org/  public.

Victor