[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia CH staff changes in 2013

Charles Andrès charles.andres.wmch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 15:13:04 UTC 2013

The need for community/project managers was identified by Chantal, our director, who prepared the proposal herself (in collaboration with me)

Then there was a time when anyone could propose projects for 2013 and/or comment on the proposed projects; at this point, it would make no difference if someone making a comment was a board member or an outsider. In any case, Ilario did not participate in any discussion about the new positions -- neither pushing for or against them. The board later approved the final budget proposal without any objection (and without discussing any particular detail about these position), so that Ilario could not have influenced the positions at this step either.

When the job description prepared by Chantal, Yann and Myself was ready to be published, Ilario told us that he may be interested in applying for the italian position. This allowed us to build the recruitment committee without including Ilario (as the main Italian-speaking member of the board, he would indeed have been part of this committee otherwise).

As mentioned before, Ilario was not involved at all with the hiring process. The board (minus Ilario) held a phone meeting in order to discuss the recommandations of the hiring committee, which it approved. In order to formally register the decision and Ilario's absention, a voting page was open on our board wiki, which saw an approval by 5 board members and one abstention because of a conflict of interest.

We haven't use donors money to have "professional advice from either a charity lawyer or a charity governance expert", because it wasn't necessary.

All in all, the only influence that Ilario had in the process was when he submitted his application.

According to the UK Charity Commission we are in the case where Ilario " has had no significant involvement with the trustees’ decision to create or retain the post, or with any material aspect of the recruitment process"

Charles

Charles ANDRES, Chairman
"Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
www.wikimedia.ch
Skype: charles.andres.wmch
IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch