[Wikimedia-l] Global Economic Map

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 21:09:22 UTC 2013

Mathieu,
I just watched a Dutch documentary about this same issue last week.
The main gist of the documentary is that the corporations avoid taxes
in a structured way: they go to tax havens or take advantage of
economic arrangements where the the first five years of residence are
tax free in return for starting up a business. The countries offering
the tax haven are hoping for sustainable local business, but instead,
after 5 years the premises are deserted and offered tax free to the
next corporation, so that a rotational system of multi-nationals is
devised.  The global economy has become not only a mobile one for
individuals, but also for corporations.

In order to be able to see such developments in an open "economic
map", much more underlying data needs to be plugged in to Wikipedia in
terms of articles about global industrial localities, global
industrial corporations, and then local economic industrial data. All
of these things are very badly documented when it comes to developing
countries, where much of this is happening. Today, Wikipedia is mainly
written in (and about!) Western Europe and North America.
Jane