[Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Mon Apr 8 20:43:13 UTC 2013

On 8 April 2013 20:06, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> He was talking about challenges.  The code certification was interesting.
>  The Wiki project getting in trouble for having (US classified) Secret, Top
> Secret, or Top Secret SCI (Secure Compartmented Information) in the
> "Open-unclassified" category *due to Wikipedia uploads/imports* was
> apparently a major ongoing pain point for the whole organization.

I have to say, this is a delightful image :-)

We had some problems in the past on enwiki with this "officially
secret" situation - well-meaning military personnel trying to remove
information from articles citing operational security reasons, even
when the information was definitionally public. Strictly speaking, had
*they* told us the information, they could perhaps have been breaching
operational security; the problem came from not connecting that to the
realisation that not everyone was bound by their specific security
restrictions.

(I forget the precise pages - a map of military zones in Iraq was
involved in one, and I've also seen someone try and remove mention of
where US divisions were based in Germany, which was perhaps a bit like
trying to hide the proverbial elephant...)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk