[Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Mon Apr 8 20:19:39 UTC 2013

No, some information which is classified is also contained within
reliable published sources available to the public and we use that
information in our articles, along with occasional original research
which may due to good guesses also contain such information. There are
not two separate worlds of reliable classified information and reliable
unclassified information; they overlap.

For example, if Mongolia purchases MIG aircraft that will result in an
intelligence bulletin; but also there may be an AP story. The summary of
classified information about the planes Mongolia has may have an
inferior, but more or less accurate, Wikipedia counterpart article about
the Mongolian air force, which if copied to the Intelligence wiki looks
like it contains "secret" information, which, presumably the full file on
Mongolian armed forces probably is.

Fred