[Wikimedia-l] Proposal to use the internal wiki more

Matthew Roth mroth at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 3 23:05:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 3:34 AM, Michael Peel
<michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk>wrote:

> Hi all,

# Press releases. When there's an upcoming significant press release from a
> Wikimedia organisation, then it should be good practice to share it with
> the other movement partners prior to its release, so that they are aware of
> it, can provide feedback, and can plan around it. Some of this already
> happens on wmfcc-l, but not consistently - much more could be done here.

I really hope we continue to use the Communications Committee list for this
purpose. I think if anything, more groups could share more of their press
releases and information there. We try to do it with every press release at
the WMF. It is an active part of our communications strategy for
announcements. It's even something we explicitly state when we first liaise
with press reps from the big telecommunications companies for Wikipedia
Zero announcements. They probably aren't super comfortable with it, but we
insist that the community who works in press will be given the embargoed
release before it is public.