[Wikimedia-l] Proposal to use the internal wiki more

Markus Glaser markus.glaser at wikimedia.de
Wed Apr 3 21:49:24 UTC 2013

Charles,

I'd very much like to see such a session at Wikimedia conf. Just today
we had a situation in wca where it was not clear where relevant
information about a topic is to be found.

Ziko proposed a session on "Communications internally and within the
movement - reaching the right people efficiently". Maybe we could do a
workshop afterwards? Would you be willing to take a lead on this?

Best,
Markus

Am 03.04.2013 13:03, schrieb Charles Andres:
> Thanks Mike,
>
> I'm very much in favor of a redesign, with a reset of internal subscribers.
>
> What about a session during wikimedia conf in Milan about improving tools for communication within the movement partners?
>
> Charles
>
> Le 3 avr. 2013 à 12:34, Michael Peel <michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk> a écrit :
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There's currently a proposal on the internal mailing list to close it, as well as the internal wiki. Although I don't disagree with closing the internal-l mailing list (it's definitely served its time), I would like us to collectively reconsider using the internal wiki.
>>
>> There is information within the Wikimedia movement that can't be shared publicly. Some of that information has been shared on the internal wiki, but much has been kept confidential within the various Wikimedia organisations that now exist. I think there's a lot of benefit to sharing more of that information in a confidential fashion on an internal wiki, and that we should start doing that much more than we're currently doing.
>>
>> Some examples of what I mean here are:
>> # Agreements, particularly those with global impact, and/or where they affect more than one Wikimedia organisation. Part of the recent Monmouthpedia/Gibraltarpedia situation was caused by a lack of transparency about who had signed what agreements, and when they had been signed - if these had all been shared on an internal wiki then some of this could have been avoided. There's also a lot of experience now with existing agreements that could be reused when new agreements are being written, e.g. for Wikimedians in Residences. Sadly, not all of these can be made publicly available (or at least, they haven't been to date).
>> # Press releases. When there's an upcoming significant press release from a Wikimedia organisation, then it should be good practice to share it with the other movement partners prior to its release, so that they are aware of it, can provide feedback, and can plan around it. Some of this already happens on wmfcc-l, but not consistently - much more could be done here.
>> # Domain names. There is a list of these on internal already, which is actually being maintained by some people. Tackling squatted domain names and keeping track of who owns what is a global problem that should be done collaboratively, but in confidence, rather than just by individual organisations.
>> # Contact information for the various organisations. Some of this can be done publicly, but not all, and it would be good to have a central place for this information anyway.
> [...]

Markus Glaser
WCA Council Member (WMDE)
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.