[Wikimedia-l] Upcoming Survey, Feedback requested, and Office Hour

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 16:35:45 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Jan-bart de Vreede <jdevreede at wikimedia.org
> wrote:

> Hey
>
> So someone sent me the internal-l mail and I do think that the "zero
> real-world" thing is taken out of context here. But a few points
>
> 1) Lets not have these discussions on internal-l, there is no reason to
> not have those in public
> 2) See 1)
> 3) I am sure that the data set allows us to see chapter's individual
> we do?)

I believe the biggest issue from a methodological point of view, once you
filter out responses from non-chapter countries, is that the question asks
for a composite average rating on chapterS performance. There is doubt that
the results obtained in this way would be valid or reliable measures of
chapters ratings.
(On the face of it, if one has to rate together a well-performing known
organization and 38 unknown ones, it is unlikely that he would adjust his
rating of the known organization upwards to get to an average, it seems
more likely that he would do a downwards adjustment and perhaps vice-versa
in case of a low-performing local organization; different people would
apply different adjustments and it becomes doubtful whether we can ever get
an accurate average from a simple question asking for opinion about 39
organizations.
Asking individuals to rate one chapter if relevant and than taking the
[weighed] average of the ratings from the 39 relevant countries would be
more accurate perhaps. And as a control group, people from outside chapter
countries could be asked to rate all chapters in one question to see if
there is anything to learn there from the answers.)
 In general, when a concept is complex, surveys tend to ask more questions
to get a better picture, just as the WESI-score on Wikipedia satisfaction
is a composite from a number of questions on this survey.

> 4) Doesn't every survey contain questions that don't apply to the whole
> responding audience?

Probably not - depends on the survey design and goals.

Best regards,
Bence