[Wikimedia-l] commons promotion

Thierry Coudray thierry.coudray at wikimedia.fr
Thu Sep 13 08:23:40 UTC 2012

Hum... a Dutch WMF board of Trustees member promoting Gouda  ->  Conflict
of interest.   ;-)

More seriously, WMFr have a folder which explains what is Commons, how that
works, that everyone can contribute, free licence, what you can or cannot
upload, etc. (
http://www.wikimedia.fr/sites/default/files/Brochure_Wikimedia_Commons.pdf).
For example, some of WMFr volonteers use it during their city photos
huntings.

But we probably need something more Wikipedia oriented so people we met
could easely understand that most of the photos they see on Wikipedia come
from people like them who shoot when they visit a monument or a museum
orsimply when they walk
in the street. And they can easely become a WP photographer.
Some of our volonteers have already this idea in mind. So we just have to
be bold.  :)

Thierry

2012/9/13 Jan-Bart de Vreede <jdevreede at wikimedia.org>

> Hey
>
> So I had a great time handing out flyers for the Wiki takes Gouda
> promotion last weekend. We quickly learned to look for people with camera's
> or camera bags and target them with flyers. Since then I have been walking
> around and have noticed how many people walk around with a semi
> professional camera taking pictures of whatever.
>
> How about having a business card size promotion leaflet which we can hand
> out to photographers, tourists or whatever in our countries. It would
> briefly explain that Wikimedia needs useable (and what usable means for us)
> pictures and that they can contribute with photographs. It would explain
> the free license and contain a link to a special URL helping them upload.
>
> Not only could this result in a lot of new material (although we might
> want to add that we do not need the umpteenth picture of the white house or
> eiffel tower) but it would also create awareness amongst a group we have
> not typically targeted before…
>
> (or has this already been done?)
>
> Jan-Bart de Vreede
> (obviously representing just his own point of view here)

Thierry Coudray
Directeur exécutif
Wikimédia France <http://www.wikimedia.fr/>
Mob. 06.82.85.84.40