[Wikimedia-l] commons promotion

Jan-Bart de Vreede jdevreede at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 13 06:51:03 UTC 2012

Hey

So I had a great time handing out flyers for the Wiki takes Gouda promotion last weekend. We quickly learned to look for people with camera's or camera bags and target them with flyers. Since then I have been walking around and have noticed how many people walk around with a semi professional camera taking pictures of whatever.

How about having a business card size promotion leaflet which we can hand out to photographers, tourists or whatever in our countries. It would briefly explain that Wikimedia needs useable (and what usable means for us) pictures and that they can contribute with photographs. It would explain the free license and contain a link to a special URL helping them upload.

Not only could this result in a lot of new material (although we might want to add that we do not need the umpteenth picture of the white house or eiffel tower) but it would also create awareness amongst a group we have not typically targeted before…

(or has this already been done?)

Jan-Bart de Vreede
(obviously representing just his own point of view here)