[Wikimedia-l] The new narrowed focus by WMF

Juergen Fenn schneeschmelze at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 18 23:59:28 UTC 2012

2012/10/18 Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com>:

> Why can Reddit and other
> massive userbase sites keep their community and continue to grow,
> while Wikimedia can't? Is it that we're too hard to use? Too much has
> already been done? Are the communities not open enough? Too bound by
> rules and standards and a conservative ethic of interaction?

That's easy to answer. Apart from the commercial social network sites
for the populace being non-educational: Much has already been done,
and what we are doing is good enough to most people. Also, they do not
perceive Wikipedia as a community to become a part of, but basically
as an online encyclopaedia they can use for looking up something they
are interested in --- after all, that's what it's supposed to be,
isn't it. And then, the situation is quite different for the language
communities. German Wikipedia grows constantly by some 400 new
articles per day. No change over time. No loss of productivity. So
what?

Regards,
Jürgen.