[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Ciphers Wikip cipherswiki at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 04:58:09 UTC 2012

>Well, this telecom company is the arm of the government to impose
> censorship in KSA.
> This is a poor excuse. In creating such a partnership, WMF is
> implicitely supporting the censorship by providing a moral caution,
> even if it is not directly involved in censorship.

I guess I can see your point there, Yan.
But please let me ask you this question :
What do you think is the best way to teach people what the word "freedom"
means?

-- Ciphers
Note : I have been following this list for a while, but this is the first
time I feel like posting something here. Apologize in advance if  my
comments are not in the scope of this list, and I wish posting using my
wiki username won`t bother anyone.

Message: 7

2012/10/16 Theo10011 <de10011 at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Yann Forget <yannfo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This announcement is worrying, to say the least.
>> In other words, the Wikimedia Foundation is doing a partnership with
>> one of the most retrograde government, which is also a regular censor
>> on Internet content.
>> How could you justify that?
>
> Hi Yann
>
> It's not a partnership with the government, it's with a telecom company to

Well, this telecom company is the arm of the government to impose
censorship in KSA.
This is a poor excuse. In creating such a partnership, WMF is
implicitely supporting the censorship by providing a moral caution,
even if it is not directly involved in censorship.

Yann