[Wikimedia-l] WMF core and non core expenses

Samuel Klein sj at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 9 23:38:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does the merchandise store, which will cost USD 311000, have an ROI
> published somewhere?
>
> I think some 'Research' is needed in WMF core, however any funds under
> 'Research' should be granted to, and administrated by, an academic
> institution. Preferably via a competitive program.

Thanks John.  I'm not sure I agree, since without an internal research
team it's hard for the WMF to interface with outside researchers.  But
I find this sort of specific feedback on WMF expenses most welcome.

Hopefully this can be refactored on the wiki as comments on the annual
plan.  Along the lines of Charles's comment, it is also helpful to get
feedback on what seems 'high priority, extended core' and what seems
'non core' (though we don't have crisp definitions for that
distinction yet, we should develop one).

Sam.