[Wikimedia-l] Fundraiser causing confusion

cyrano cyrano.fawkes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 17:10:04 UTC 2012

Le 28/11/2012 12:43, Thomas Dalton a écrit :
 > It is perfectly normal for a charity to make heavy use of volunteers
and still need money as well.
I assume that by 'normal' you mean 'common', and by 'needing money' you
mean 'asking for money'? Otherwise it would lead to an entirely
different scope of debate.
Anyway, I'm just pointing out that blurring the focus about money most
of the time and suddenly having an intense campaign asking for dozens of
millions creates a discrepancy.

Le 28/11/2012 12:58, Victor Grigas a écrit :
> If users are confused, feel free to share this video with them:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Knv6D6Thi0&sns=em
>
> I designed it to explain a lot of how Wikipedia works (donations and all) in a short amount if time, and assuage anxieties about getting involved as an editor.

Very nice video!, with a heavy focus on the volunteers who are working
for free, for a cause, that's it's a non-profit company, that Jimmy
Wales don't take a salary or expenses. People will think this is not
about money at all. In fact, about how much money will end up in whose
pockets, we just know that it's for the Foundation team. This
communication is aimed to build trust and collect money and is doing a
great job to keep people unaware of what happens to the money. That's
what I was talking about. When people become aware there *is* a strong
want for money, their image of Wikipedia and siblings will prove
inadequate to the reality, thus shattering their beliefs to some degree,
and leading to confusion. But hey, that's the problem with any form of
communication that applies a filter to reality.