[Wikimedia-l] Fundraiser causing confusion

cyrano cyrano.fawkes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:38:25 UTC 2012

Le 28/11/2012 12:24, Thomas Dalton a écrit :
> On Nov 28, 2012 3:06 PM, "cyrano" <cyrano.fawkes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Non-informed people have an image of Wikipedia "run by volunteers".
> Do they? In that case, we've been really successful. It used to be that the
> first thing we had to do before we could get someone to donate was explain
> to them that we're not a massive multinational company making billions of
> dollars of profits.

Which is completely normal. An image of volunteers building a great
project for a great cause was constantly set up in every single
communication, during years. So that's what uninformed people would believe.
But, from the moment someone asks for money, it contradicts the image of
a project run by the sheer efforts of volunteers. " This money will end
in the pocket of persons, ", they think, " who are thus not doing it
because it's a great cause but because they're paid".