[Wikimedia-l] Fundraiser causing confusion

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 14:54:58 UTC 2012

On 28 November 2012 14:41, Charles Andrès <charles.andres at wikimedia.ch> wrote:
> In fact we haven't seen the link before but we had the same in Switzerland, it seems that in a way people complain about the traditional banners that are to intrusive, but in the other hand they are more suspicious and have doubt about banners that are not the same than previous year!

This happens every year - there are always people concerned that we've
been hacked, or that they have a virus, or that there is some kind of
phishing attack going on. I expect the only way to avoid that would be
to have the banners up continuously 365 days a year, so people are
used to them just being part of the site - as long as people are used
to there being no banner ads on Wikipedia, the sudden appearance of
them will confuse some people.

As Philippe says, I would expect there to be an OTRS template from
previous years to explain what is going on.