[Wikimedia-l] Creating Wikikultur

JP Béland lebo.beland at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 04:30:57 UTC 2012

The scope of Wikibooks could be expanded to include essays, poems, novels,
etc. and not only pedagogical content (especially that we have Wikiversity
who also focus on pedagogic stuff).

JP

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikikultur

> Here is the summary :
> Currently there are still some digital works which can not be published
on a wikimedia projects, because none of them have the right editorial
guideline to host them. Things like original poetry, songs, essays, theses,
novels, etc., wether they were already previously published or not.

> It would be great to see wikimedia launch a project to host this kind of
works.

> The no original research for wikipedia is understable and very important
of course. Now what's relevant for an encyclopedia may not fit others
projects which need different editorial guidelines. In existing projects
Wikibooks is too pedagogic works oriented, and wikisource won't accept
works which were not previously published elsewhere.

> Moreover, one may argue that it would be a good way to softly evacuate
originals works from wikipedia, with a message like "your contribution
contains original claims, wikipedia is not the place to publish this kind
of content, but you could share your original work on wikikultur". Then
eventualy, the wikipedia article could use wikikultur arcticles as
references. This would give access to authoring information (eventually
anonymous/IP claims), and all avantages of a free/libre work on a wiki. For
example, we may have statistics on articles, so we can check if it's not
used as a reference of an over represented point of view in an wikipedia
article.

> On artistics topics, I think it would really help to boost the free-libre
culture movement to have a place where every artists can directly
experiment what it means to share and build together, with an audience
intertwinned with other mediawiki projects.

> ----
>
> It looks like other proposed projects would be included in such a
project, like Wikiessay (I just discovered and I'm gonna read others
projects description, sorry), but others aspect don't seem - at first
glance - to be covered, like artistics topics.