[Wikimedia-l] 24-hour fundraising test

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Sat Nov 17 01:01:14 UTC 2012

On 16 November 2012 16:30, Megan Hernandez <mhernandez at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> **You did it the right way, I think most people realize what a treasure
> trove of information Wikipedia has and your message was simple and honest,
> no tug-at-the-heartstrings kind of stuff. Appeals to smart people.*
> ** "This big, plain blue banner really caught my eye, and its message was
> simple yet powerful. So I gave my 5$."*
> **I liked the non-intrusive but catchy banner and the quick payment option.*
> **Really like the philosophy, the information and the layout.*
> ** The banner I clicked on felt simple and honest, and it reminded me that
> Wikipedia is a global resource which needs funding to pay for its resource
> usage*
> ** when put very straight-forwardly, honestly, and especially factually, I
> felt a bigger obligation to donate*
> ** "I've seen requests for donations before,but never as grabbing as this
> one. The blue and white, the boldness, made me pay attention."*
> ** i clicked b/c for once the fund-drive banner was green instead of dismal
> gray. *
> ** " Being blue they aren't too invasive. They also made me chill a little
> and think about how great Wiki is."*

"Simple, honest, straightforward, not too invasive" -- that's all
*exactly* what I want to hear.

The annual campaign is always a series of tradeoffs -- balancing
annoyance-of-readers against the desire to bring in revenue. I am so
happy that this year the team has managed to test and refine and
optimize such that we're annoying people less, and still making the
money we need.

I am so proud of everybody working on this campaign :-)

Thanks,
Sue

--
Sue Gardner
Executive Director

415 839 6885 office
415 816 9967 cell

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

https://donate.wikimedia.org/