[Wikimedia-l] 24-hour fundraising test

Megan Hernandez mhernandez at wikimedia.org
Thu Nov 15 16:07:04 UTC 2012

Hi all,

We're running a 24-hour fundraising test today, Thursday, Nov. 15. We're
using today to test out our tech systems with 100% of our traffic, as well
as to refine our estimate on the money we'll raise.  The results of this
full-day test will determine when and how we run the full fundraising
campaign.  A big goal for the fundraising team is to reduce the total
number of fundraising days this year.  We'll learn more about how much we
can reduce the fundraiser with the results of this 1-day test.

We're planning to take the banners down after 24 hours running, and then to
bring them back up after a few days.

We will adjust that launch date, depending on how the 24 hour test goes.
 We'll update you as we get more information.

A couple notes about the banners that are running today:

* The banners look different from previous years.  We are putting key facts
from the fundraising appeal directly into the banner to educate all our
readers about who we are and how we work.  This could maybe make it
possible to run much smaller banners next year.
* We're testing a variety of messages, donation forms, banner colors and
styles throughout the day.
* Banners will run worldwide from Thursday 17:00 UTC to Friday 17:00 UTC.
* We're only running to anonymous users today.

We're collecting feedback and comments on the Fundraiser 2012 meta
discussion page: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising_2012   If
you spot an error or something we can improve for the donor experience,
please leave us a note there.

We'll be sending around more information as we learn more over the next
days and weeks.

Thanks,

Megan

--