[Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage project launch/migration update

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton rodrigo.argenton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 21:31:42 UTC 2012

So you're telling me there's files, but you will not import because no one
of the Portuguese speakers helped in the cleaning process? Then I'll
have to start
from scratch (something that already exists), denying the existence of a
community and the previous project and I still have to go through
various bureaucratic
processes, so that maybe one day the project (that already exists) come into
existence?

More than that, we have to manually import the WikiTravel, and as we
have no import
tool, we will not be able to bring together the history, so authorship is
not properly credited, breaking the license, something which we can not do.
Soon, we will have to find a way to give credit to those who wrote, or even
write from scratch... so pretty...

I really wanted to understand the reason for not bringing all the languages
of Wikitravel ... everything was under a free license, it would give a
lot more work? More work than the work to make 2000 new articles in pt?

Tomorrow I restart the project, and maybe in 6 years it will come to have
the 2000 articles again. For today I have to cancel activities for the next
semester that could increase project visibility, after all it does not exist
.

I know that Wikipedia is The priority, but for the love of god!

On 12 November 2012 15:33, MF-Warburg <mfwarburg em googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2012/11/12 Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki em gmail.com>
>
> > Roland Unger, 12/11/2012 07:46:
> >
> >  Hi folks,
> >>
> >> the Wikivoyage e.V. got the xml files of more language versions, I
> >> think also for es, fi, hu, ja, pl, pt, ro and zh from user Wrh2.
> >>

> > Where are they? Again, please publish them.
> >

> I can only underline this. It would be quite necessary to know how many
> pages existed there and how active the project actually was (There is no
> reason for the language committee to make an exception for all these
> languages IN BULK if some have actually no current interest from users).
> The XML dumps can of course be imported to Incubator in the case that an
> own subdomain is not immediately created.
> Note that some pages for a wikivoyage in Spanish have already been started
> on Incubator, as well as this request/discussion:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikivoyage_Spanish
>
> Besides, can these old wikis from which the xml files were taken still be
> accessed? At least it is not http://pt.wikivoyage-old.org/ .
>

> >> But there were no users who helped us to check to contents.
> >>

> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/**wiki/Wikivoyage/New_language_**versions<
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikivoyage/New_language_versions>is now
> on Meta, by the way.
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/**wiki/New_wikis_importers<
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_wikis_importers>/might/ want to help
> doing the XML import, depending on how much
> > pre-emptive cleanup is actually needed; you can try asking them.
> >

>  Indeed ;-)

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
rodrigo.argenton em gmail.com
+55 11 97 97 18 884