[Wikimedia-l] Democratizing the Wikimedia Foundation

Anders Wennersten mail at anderswennersten.se
Sat Nov 3 19:38:50 UTC 2012

Thanks. Even while admiring Sue and all the good she does, I share your
view that a lot of (too much?) "power" is centered around her as a person.

For a new enterprise an entrepreneur if often a good thing to have in
the beginning, but as the organization matures it is often optimal that
at  some moment in time the entrepreneurial type of leadership is
shifted to a more traditional one that in our case should be
characterized by the non-hierarchical culture with a multitude of point
of influence as in the community

But should we not then discuss organizational development in this
direction? And repeating (harping?) myself, I see the model I have sen
in FDC (and earlier ChapCom) as something that can be transferred to
other areas of activities and that this  will make the Movement less
dependent on a central person, and perhaps in the end can also give the
Board the opportunity to put more energy in the important strategic
issues that should be its key role and which also will make the Movement
less dependent on on single person

Anders
for my merits see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Anders_Wennersten
I actually believe it was my merits which made me become one of the
members of FDC not a single persons patronage