[Wikimedia-l] Board vote on narrowing focus

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 15:01:04 UTC 2012

Hello Lodewijk,

These are good questions.  I expect effort will be required in the short
term to delegate effectively and help move to a narrower focus.   A few
clarifying questions for you in return:

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org>wrote:

> * PR support by WMF PR staff when writing press releases for an
> international audience

Do you have an example in mind of a recent press release that took
advantage of this support?
How useful to you find ComCom, as a list and network, compared to direct
personal facilitation by WMF staff?

> * Networking support by Asaf (who to approach), specifically for "global
> south" countries and chapters to be.

Do you think the WMF should be the arbiter of who to approach to connect
with chapters-to-be?  It seems to me that this level of support and
connection could be provided well and in a variety of languages by a
support network (or a community body such as AffCom or the WCA), even
today.

> * Tech support for initiatives

* Layout/design support for education related activities

How do you feel the above worked for WLM this year, as an example?
What tech and design support was needed, and where did it come from?

> * Institutional support for the GLAM related activities in the US (until
> the US Federation is fully functional, if ever)

I agree there is room for a global GLAM support for regions that don't have
local [chapter] organization.  Why do you feel this is a special problem
for the US, compared to other archive-rich parts of the world - given the
two regional chapters and numerous present and past Wikipedians in
residence?

Sam.