[Wikimedia-l] Board vote on narrowing focus

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Fri Nov 2 11:47:46 UTC 2012

Hi Dariusz and Anders,

Thank you for your replies. It does however not answer my questions -
although I may have worded them poorly. What I'm trying to figure out is
what will happen to the organizational support to the other movement
organizations and individuals. This support is already much lower than I'd
like, but the suggestion on meta was that it might decrease further. Some
examples:

* PR support by WMF PR staff when writing press releases for an
international audience
* Networking support by Asaf (who to approach), specifically for "global
south" countries and chapters to be.
* Tech support for initiatives
* Institutional support for the GLAM related activities in the US (until
the US Federation is fully functional, if ever)
* Layout/design support for education related activities

While I agree on principle that several of these tasks belong at the WCA,
US Federation or individual chapters, I do recognize it needs time to be
transferred. Which tasks will the Foundation (continue to) execute, and
which not? Which will it explicitely transfer? Or will it just drop it -
and then it is up to others to catch them or not?

Best,
Lodewijk