[Wikimedia-l] TomTom does a Britannica

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue May 29 13:29:19 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Strainu <strainu10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/5/29 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
>> The difference is that Wikipedia is usable in the real world, whereas
>> OSM, for the most part, is not.
>
> I see it the other way around: OSM, for the most part, IS usable in
> the real world. One can easily navigate using OSM data on the main
> roads in a country, and even on major boulevards within the cities.
> The problems appear "in the last kilometer".

I just tried osmand.  I can't even figure out how to put in an
address.  I then tried navfree usa.  I eventually put in an address
(why I can't just type in, or better yet speak, the address, i don't
know).  But the route it gave me included tolls.  When I told it to
avoid tolls, it failed to do so.  (Either the app is broken, or the
information about what roads have tolls is broken.)

There's probably some other app I just don't know about.  But so far I
find it impossible to use OSM data to get the route that I follow
every day to work (which Google's navigation app finds readily, and
even updates on the fly due to changing traffic conditions).

> 2012/5/29 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
>> And yeah, there are apps that use OSM data.  And there will probably
>> be more now that OSM has abandoned copyleft for data.
>
> Why do you say that? ODbL is still a copyleft license, although a much
> weaker copyleft.

Rather than nitpick over details, I'll go with "much weaker copyleft".