[Wikimedia-l] TomTom does a Britannica

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 13:22:14 UTC 2012

2012/5/29 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> The difference is that Wikipedia is usable in the real world, whereas
> OSM, for the most part, is not.

I see it the other way around: OSM, for the most part, IS usable in
the real world. One can easily navigate using OSM data on the main
roads in a country, and even on major boulevards within the cities.
The problems appear "in the last kilometer".

And that's just the tip of the iceberg (i.e. the rendered data).
Invisible data, for instance road quality, can lead to impressive
mashups, such as http://openmap.ro/auto/ (click on one of the top
buttons to see the "comfort speeds", which is basically how messed up
a road is).  I never go for a long drive around Romania without
consulting this. While some of the data is old, more often than not
you can tell if you'll wreck your car on a road or not.

2012/5/29 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> And yeah, there are apps that use OSM data.  And there will probably
> be more now that OSM has abandoned copyleft for data.

Why do you say that? ODbL is still a copyleft license, although a much
weaker copyleft.

Strainu