[Wikimedia-l] Study: Nobody cares about your copyright

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed May 23 07:46:38 UTC 2012

On 23 May 2012 08:33, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> The whole idea of copyright - as the US started seeing it, in our
> constitution and thence onwards, is properly rewarding creative people
> for their efforts.

Well, actually it was for the benefit of printers. As is reflected in
copyright today, which is for the benefit of publishers.

>  Free content and culture and information -
> Wikipedia included - is great.  I don't see any need to forcibly tear
> down the whole edifice of commercial paid arts in the process.

I think this is a straw man rendering of the position, but I do think
that forcibly tearing down the whole edifice would be a vast
improvement in the world.

> In particular, the public has no problem with individual musicians and
> writers being rewarded for their efforts.  Trying to overcome that
> would mean making enemies out of most of the populace on this when we
> don't have to.
> Nobody's made a big public case for any shorter term.
> That's a mistake.  The whole CC and free content movement needs to
> step up.  We need Cory and other luminaries advocating for a sane
> term, and 14 is a good round number that works for everyone except
> insane anti-IP bigots on one hand and Hollywood on the other, whom I
> feel little remaining sympathy for.

That's why a term that doesn't blatantly take the piss might have a
chance, yes. 14 years may be all they end up getting.

- d.