[Wikimedia-l] Study: Nobody cares about your copyright

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Wed May 23 07:40:59 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 2:33 AM, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com>wrote:

> Nobody's made a big public case for any shorter term.
>
> That's a mistake.  The whole CC and free content movement needs to
> step up.  We need Cory and other luminaries advocating for a sane
> term, and 14 is a good round number that works for everyone except
> insane anti-IP bigots on one hand and Hollywood on the other, whom I
> feel little remaining sympathy for.
>

> --
> -george william herbert
> george.herbert at gmail.com

I think the larger point is that regard for copyright coming to a death
knell by the internet, and the care from Nobody is how people make money
based on this concept.  Should musicians less rely on publishing rights and
yield them to CC and publish them on Wikisource, and rely on touring and
willing-to-pay agreements with commercial use?  That's just an example, we
have the recent issue of bringing United States tax-payer funded research
being released under strict commercial licensing in order to make money for
publishers and not the researchers or the source of the funds.  It's about
letting go of the old source of economics for publishers and embracing a
new model.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan