[Wikimedia-l] Study: Nobody cares about your copyright

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon May 21 20:18:24 UTC 2012

On 21 May 2012 20:59, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> We need a shorter term *for free licenses*.
> Right now those licenses piggyback on an unreasonably long-term notion
> of "exclusive authorial control of reuse".
> People who support free knowledge and free licenses should be among
> the first to do away with that term.

Richard Stallman thinks five years (Swedish Pirate Party) is too short:

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pirate-party.html

- though he likes ten years:

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/misinterpreting-copyright.html

> Campaign idea: ask CC to make an O'Reilly-like solution part of their
> recommended licenses; so that "no, use maximum copyright term" is an
> opt-in option instead.  Unfortunately, Founders Copyright as currently
> laid out wasn't designed to make that possibility easy...
> Campaign idea: set up a named class of license for friendly groups
> like O'Reilly that are committing to 14 years, which are defined by
> terming out in no more than 14 years to CC0 or equivalent PD
> declarations.

Founders' Copyright has no buy-in on Commons, which would have been a
nice place to start. Offering yet another licence option strikes me as
less than ideal ...

But yeah. I'm now envisioning a Hollywood op-ed desperately trying to
defend the notion of a whole fourteen years for copyright.

- d.