[Wikimedia-l] Study: Nobody cares about your copyright

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Mon May 21 19:59:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM, emijrp <emijrp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Lol, 14 years term. Good luck. That is a lost battle.
>
> I think that the useful approach is to spread the word about free licenses,
> that allow to use content NOW.

We need a shorter term *for free licenses*.
Right now those licenses piggyback on an unreasonably long-term notion
of "exclusive authorial control of reuse".

People who support free knowledge and free licenses should be among
the first to do away with that term.

David Gerard writes:
> the Swedish party says five years,[1]

Nice catch, thanks.  That looks like an even better place to start;
it's already part of their national platform, and they'd likely join a
suitable campaign.  Perhaps 5+5 is better than 14 or 7+7 as the
default recommendation.
[the "+" referring to an opt-in extension -- requires an implementation method.]

> Creative Commons offers the Founders' Copyright, 14 years:
> https://creativecommons.org/%20projects/founderscopyright

Campaign idea: ask CC to make an O'Reilly-like solution part of their
recommended licenses; so that "no, use maximum copyright term" is an
opt-in option instead.  Unfortunately, Founders Copyright as currently
laid out wasn't designed to make that possibility easy...

> O'Reilly is offering works under 14 years (c), thence CC-by

Campaign idea: set up a named class of license for friendly groups
like O'Reilly that are committing to 14 years, which are defined by
terming out in no more than 14 years to CC0 or equivalent PD
declarations.

SJ