[Wikimedia-l] Study: Nobody cares about your copyright

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Mon May 21 19:34:24 UTC 2012

What I really find upsetting is that PBS produces videos that cannot
be watched out side of the states, it really upsets me.
Also in germany, it is just unbearable, these copyright trolls called
"GEMA" take away all the fun of youtube.
mike

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Richard Symonds
<richard.symonds at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
> FWIW, I'd like to see things being released more freely internationally,
> irrespective of copyright. At present, I can either pirate the Colbert
> Report, or watch it through a proxy using a US netflix account which I pay
> for using a US bank account. It isn't shown anywhere in the UK.
>
> Richard Symonds
> Wikimedia UK
> 0207 065 0992
> Disclaimer viewable at
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Email_disclaimer
> Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk
>

> On 21 May 2012 16:35, Mike Linksvayer <ml at gondwanaland.com> wrote:

>> > The most pirated bit of content at the moment appears to be game of
>> > thrones so I'm not sure what 14 years has to do with anything.
>>
>> 0 years best, but I think some unauthorized sharing data could support
>> a merely shorter term -- recent, popular titles are the most shared
>> titles, but older titles constitute bulk of sharing, and presumably
>> most in need of distributed curation. That was my takeway from
>> http://ijoc.org/ojs/index.php/ijoc/article/view/1261/712 which
>> admittedly only looks at some Hungarian filesharing networks. I'd be
>> mildly surprised if similar didn't hold true worldwide.
>>
>> Mike

James Michael DuPont
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3