[Wikimedia-l] Study: Nobody cares about your copyright

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Mon May 21 17:59:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Mike Linksvayer <ml at gondwanaland.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:31 AM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 21 May 2012 13:09, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So, is the time ripe yet for us to start pushing for a 14-year term,
>>> or do we wait a bit? I suggest we start contemplating it, however.

I think it's about time.

> 0 years best, but I think some unauthorized sharing data could support
> a merely shorter term

Mike - you mean you think all CC licenses should converge to CC0 immediately?

We should figure out a reasonable term for the sort of rights that are
currently covered by 'copyright' and embed that term into all free
culture licenses.  That includes all CC and FOSS licenses: all should
explicitly term out before the ultralong default term.  In practice
that might mean automatically switching to CC0 at the end of the
shorter term.

I don't think the right term here is "0 years".  It is also not "life
+ 70".  Perhaps "7 + 7".

SJ