[Wikimedia-l] Announcing 2 Community Fellow

Florence Devouard anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 18:29:22 UTC 2012

Thank you Siko for answering.

That's a mix of "curiosity" (for the benefits, pensions and so on) and
of "concern" (on the responsibility side of things).

Wikimedia France received several legal complaints in the past few years
and the frequency is increasing. The inventivity and the boldness of
lawyers is also getting stronger in trying to prove that the chapter is
legally responsible for what happen on the French speaking Wikipedia. We
also had to deal with a volunteer contributor who was taken to court for
a very regular wiki activity (thank god, ended well). In short, we can
not pretend there is no "legal" risk.

Aside from this, professionnally speaking, I am a freelancer. I pay
roughly 1000 euros every year in various insurance to cover my activity.
Covering any wrong recommandation I may give my clients. Covering any
material disaster I might create in their office (such as leaking coffee
on one of their laptop... or worse). Covering legal support for me in
case I am brought to court.
If I did not pay for such insurance, I would be 100% responsible on my
own revenue and property (my house and so on).
If I were on staff in a company, the company would cover this (to a
certain extent of course).

So I am being curious about the status of the fellows. If they do
anything illegal (voluntarily or not) and are taken to court... are they
on their own ? (hopefully WMF would help them pay the fees). Or would it
be WMF considered responsible as their "employer" ?

Florence