[Wikimedia-l] Announcing 2 Community Fellow

Siko Bouterse sbouterse at wikimedia.org
Mon May 21 17:35:25 UTC 2012

Hi Florence,
I guess I didn't do a very good job addressing these questions in the
earlier thread, so I'll try one more time :-)

Fellowships are temporary roles, so they are not treated as full time staff
positions.  They do not receive retirement benefits, and generally the
paperwork setup and associated benefits is not like staff, its more like
contractor, though again the specifics will vary according to fellowship
location, duration, and what US regulation dictates based on these
variables.  I am happily ignorant of the liability/insurance side of
things, so perhaps someone from the LCA team can address this if needed.

Is there a particular issue that makes you ask about this, or just
generally curious?

Best wishes,
Siko

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 23:29:51 +0200
> From: Florence Devouard <anthere9 at yahoo.com>
> To: wikimedia-l at lists.wikimedia.org
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing 2
>        Community       Fellows
>
> I can not help (I am optimistic with lot's of faith :))
>
> Does the fellowship status implies that the WMF pays for health or
> retirement benefits (as it would for a staff member) or does the fellow
> receive a lump sum and manages by himself to pay for taxes and benefits
> depending on the country he lives in (as would a contractor) ?
>
> Does the fellowship status implies that, should the fellow get in
> trouble, he would be considered "staff" (in terms of liability) or is he
> on his own ? (which in my terms would be "if as staff", he is covered by
> WMF insurance versus "if as contractor", he has to pay insurance by
> himself).
>

> Florence
>
> --
Siko Bouterse