[Wikimedia-l] Study: Nobody cares about your copyright

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Mon May 21 13:41:21 UTC 2012

On 5/21/12 9:31 AM, geni wrote:
> On 21 May 2012 13:09, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>  From Rick Falkvinge, an English-language writeup of a Swedish study:
>>
>> http://falkvinge.net/2012/05/21/study-despite-tougher-copyright-monopoly-laws-sharing-remains-pervasive/
>> http://svt.se/nyheter/fortsatt-fildelning-trots-skarpt-lag (Swedish news report)
>>
>> 61% of 15-25-year-olds in Sweden fileshare personally, and heavy
>> sharers have gone up. Furthermore - industry copyright education
>> campaigns create resentment, defiance and disrespect for the law in
>> general.
>>
>> So, is the time ripe yet for us to start pushing for a 14-year term,
>> or do we wait a bit? I suggest we start contemplating it, however.
>>
> The most pirated bit of content at the moment appears to be game of
> thrones so I'm not sure what 14 years has to do with anything.

Thanks for sharing this David. It's as if hating copyright has become
the new punk rock. I remember when the music industry created adverts in
the 1980s that were anti-pirating in regards to cassette tapes. Without
mix tapes I probably wouldn't know most of the music I love today. Then
came mix CDs, then came Soulseek...

Oi!

-Sarah

--
*Sarah Stierch*
*/Wikimedia Foundation Community Fellow/*
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/><<