[Wikimedia-l] Fire Drill Re: Wikimedia sites not easy to archive (Was Re: Knol is closing tomorrow )

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Thu May 17 13:14:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 07:43:09AM -0400, Anthony wrote:

> In fact, I think someone at WMF should contact Amazon and see if
> they'll let us conduct the experiment for free, in exchange for us
> creating the dump for them to host as a public data set
> (http://aws.amazon.com/publicdatasets/).

That sounds like an excellent plan. At the same time, it might be useful to get Archive Team
involved.

* They have warm bodies. (always useful, one can never have enough volunteers ;)
* They have experience with very large datasets
* They'd be very happy to help (it's their mission)
* Some of them may be able to provide Sufficient Storage(tm) and server capacity. Saves us
the Amazon AWS bill.
* We might set a precedent where others might provide their data to AT directly too.

AT's mission dovetails nicely with ours. We provide the sum of all human knowledge to people.
AT ensures that the sum of all human knowledge is not subtracted from.

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning