[Wikimedia-l] Fire Drill Re: Wikimedia sites not easy to archive (Was Re: Knol is closing tomorrow )

Neil Harris neil at tonal.clara.co.uk
Thu May 17 13:59:44 UTC 2012

On 17/05/12 12:49, Anthony wrote:
> Please have someone at WMF coordinate this so that there aren't
> multiple requests made.  In my opinion, it should preferably be made
> by a WMF employee.
>
> Fill out the form at
> https://aws-portal.amazon.com/gp/aws/html-forms-controller/aws-dataset-inquiry
>
> Tell them you want to create a public data set which is a snapshot of
> the English Wikipedia.  We can coordinate any questions, and any
> implementation details, on a separate list.

That's a fantastic idea, and would give en: Wikipedia yet another public
replica for very little effort. I would imagine that if they are willing
to host enwiki, they may also be be willing to host most, or all, of the
other projects.

It will also mean that running Wikipedia data-munching experiments on
EC2 will become much easier.

Neil