[Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

Michael Peel michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk
Tue May 15 20:27:17 UTC 2012

On 15 May 2012, at 21:18, Philippe Beaudette wrote:

> Think of LCA as a fork: at the top, the General Counsel.  Down one tine of
> the fork, the Deputy GC, the Legal Counsel, and the Junior Counsel.
>
> Down the other tine of the fork, the Director, Community Advocacy, and the
> Community Liaison(s)/Advocates.   Sort of straddling the middle is Daisy,
> our paralegal.
>
> Does that help?

Thanks Philippe - that sort of helps, yes. :-) But I'm a bit confused looking at:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff#Legal_and_Community_Advocacy

Is there only one Legal Counsel or multiple - does Stephen replace, or work with, Michelle? If the latter, how do the roles relate to each other? Similarly, how does the day-to-day work of the GC and LC relate? Does the GC delegate tasks to the LC, or are there formal lines in the sand between their activities?

Also, who's Daisy? She doesn't appear to be on the staff page on the wiki?

Thanks,
Mike
P.S. In general, it might be useful if the on-wiki staff list was accompanied by descriptions of the roles that the staff take within the various teams. I'm sure that it's understood within the teams and by those working at the WMF, but it's a bit opaque and confusing from an outside perspective.